Hello and Welcome to My Blog!

This is where I begin my journey with you, Christian wives everywhere. As I seek the Lord for grace to share testimonies and words of encouragement about marriage, it is my hope that you will: be strengthened to live with your husbands in peace, be encouraged to live according to biblical principals
be grateful for the gift of marriage and...be open to sharing comments here with other wives

I never considered myself a writer, but I am following God as I write to and for you. I hope and pray your marriage will be blessed!

In His Service,
Lisa

12/08/2009

Building Your House

Last night on the Wives On Purpose prayer call, our scripture was Proverbs 14:1. The New King James Version reads: The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish pulls it down with her own hands.

I got to thinking about building my house, about building my marriage. A long time ago my marriage was a nice design idea in my head. I planned my wedding and signed the contract to begin work. I was married in the Church and joined by God. I had indeed entered the marriage covenant and begun living my life as life’s construction crew surveyed, dug, poured, and measured. Brick after brick was laid to make my marriage house. I loved and admired the finished product. I was sure that when the rains came down and the floods came up that my marriage would stand. Why, because we were founded on the Rock!

What I failed to realize is that sometimes in a fierce and violent storm, all that we see is wiped away. The only thing left is the foundation. It is from there we that rebuild. A wise woman builds.

During 20 years of marriage, I have learned a few tips to help build and rebuild my marriage house.

1). I survey my property. I never assume that my marriage house is in good shape. Periodically I ask my husband questions.

• Are you comfortable in our relationship?
• Are there some things we should address?
• Are your needs still the same and are they being met?

2). When I see a tear, some peeling, or just something broken, I immediately call in for repair. Jesus is the best worker I know. I put him on speed dial and tell Him exactly what is wrong.

• I pray no matter where I am or what I am doing.
• I stop and pray.

3). I have learned that I get what I pay for. Building a house costs time and money, building a marriage costs too.
• I pay with patience. Marriage is until death.
• I pay when bad weather stops all progress.
• I pay for top quality materials. Only the best books, devotionals, marriage conferences, etc. will do for my marriage mansion.

I want to build my marriage house. I know that occasionally it needs upgrades and sometimes entire rooms need to be renovated. I keep my eyes and ears open to the Lord so when it he says it’s building time… I can say Yes, Lord… Let it be done to me according to your word!
If you are in a time of building do not fear. Understand that you are a wise woman!

Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! Prick to my heart. God has been dealing with me lately about my marriage. Things I want to hear and things I don't.

    I think I may use that scripture you used in a coming post!

    I am so glad to see you blog, girl! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful perspective on "building" our marriages. I love the analogies. The really help paint the picture about the type of commitment marriage really is.

    Keep allowing God to use you!

    ReplyDelete