Hello and Welcome to My Blog!

This is where I begin my journey with you, Christian wives everywhere. As I seek the Lord for grace to share testimonies and words of encouragement about marriage, it is my hope that you will: be strengthened to live with your husbands in peace, be encouraged to live according to biblical principals
be grateful for the gift of marriage and...be open to sharing comments here with other wives

I never considered myself a writer, but I am following God as I write to and for you. I hope and pray your marriage will be blessed!

In His Service,
Lisa

10/10/2009

A Matter of Trust

I wrote this to share with the women at New Song Bible Fellowship Church http://www.newsongbiblefellowship.org/ .  I thought you might enjoy it too.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding. Isn’t that what the writer of Proverbs said? (Proverbs 3:5). This verse is one of my favorites and I read it often. Why does it mean so much to me? I am glad you are curious enough to ask.

My husband’s grandfather, John C McLaughlin, was a wise man of God. He lived his life according to the scriptures because he spent his time getting to know Jesus. He was a remarkable man and I loved him. I called him “Daddy Mac”.

I spent many hours visiting with Daddy Mac and most of our conversations were dominated by talk about the Lord and reading the Bible. One day I asked Daddy Mac if I should return to college and finish my degree. He quoted this verse instead of offering his own opinion. It sounded like this “Lisa, just trust in the Lord. Don’t lean on your own understanding”. The next verse reads; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight (Proverbs. 3:6)

Is it really that simple? I wish I could say it was for me. The truth is often I don’t trust the Lord. When faced with a big decision or bad situation, I lean unto my own understanding. I waste time and energy trying to work it out. While I’m busy making plans, arrangements, and a big mess of my life, God is waiting to make my path straight.

After leaving Daddy Mac, I thought long and hard about the verse. (Some call it meditating on the word). Do I trust God enough to take me back to college? It had been a few years since I was a student. Could God work out paying for classes? How would I get the money and time off from work? There I was leaning unto my own understanding. I read the verse again and started to acknowledge Him. The God who made heaven and earth was telling me to return to school. The God who has all power in his hands would write my work schedule. The God who had provided all of my needs would pay for classes. He did not leave me nor forsake me and I graduated with honors.

My trust grew as I read and memorized the scripture. Now I trust Him with all my heart. I finally stopped leaning on my own understanding. I fully acknowledged Him in all of my ways and He really does direct my paths.

What about you? Is there any special verse directing your path right now?

I would love to hear about it.  Share your comments and your verse below. 
Many may be blessed by your story.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment